Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Posting #2

Posting #1
Chapters 4-7
To Kill a Mockingbird

1.End of Chapter 6
"Maybe so, but- I just wanta keep it that way, Scout. We shouldn'a done that tonight, Scout."It was then, I suppose, that Jem and I first began to part company. Sometimes I did not understand him, but my periods of bewilderment were short-lived.

2. I chose this quote because it shows how both of them are growing up and becoming different people. They are growing up different, as much as Scout would hate to grow up as a "girl, and are becoming farther apart.

3. This quote tells me that the two are going to grow farther apart as the book progresses. I predict that soon, they won't share the same kind of bond that they did during the beginning of the book, like when they played the Radley game. It also has a moral meaning, as it shows that Scout is becoming more lady like and Jem is becoming more like a wild boy.

Questions:
1. There are many inanimate characters in this book, the Radley house, the tree with the "gifts in it, what do you think is the most significant of these characters? Why?

2. Jem repeatedly says that Scout is becoming more lady like as the book progresses, and Scout hates this. Why do you think this is?

1 comment:

Anthony said...

Comment/Response 2
Questions
1: The Radley place because it is most like a living character on its own. It has both a description and a personality none of the others have both of these.
2: Because she was raised with a dad and a brother with no mom. So people naturally wanna be like the people that surround her. Since she doesn't have a mom or any sisters to be around she acts like a tom-boy. So to be called a girl has naturally been attached to her as an insult.
Quote:
I do not agree with what you say. I think that Jem is becoming a gentleman like his father. But since Scout has no one to follow she is still a wild tom-boy. So they are growing farther apart but the only one actually growing is Jem. But i think its weird that Jem says we shouldn't have done that tonight, yet him and Dill were the ones that wanted to do it. So it makes me feel like he's blaming Scout for what they did.