Thursday, February 21, 2008

Dash through the Forest (Chapter 12, Perspective of Ralph)

No time to stop, must keep running. Jack, Roger, Samneric, all chasing me. Fire throughout the forest. A spear pointed at both ends. Why are they doing this? They are trying to kill me just like they killed Piggy and Simon. They didn't do anything to them, they were just trying to help the tribe. I haven't done anything to the "hunters", but they still try to kill me. They have become savage, bent on killing things. Jack has even set this whole island on fire to try and kill me. What a fool, he's destroying everything that he can eat on this island. How will I escape them? Hide, or break their line? That terrible sound they're making. A cry between all the hunters. Should I stay here, or wait and break their line? I will only get one chance, I must decide. There is a savage now, do I break, or stay and hide? He must see me, I saw his face. I will break their line, and will run. Run until I can't.
I have broke their line, destroyed their coordination with each other. Now I must run. What has this island become? We used to be a civilization. Now it has become a bunch of boys running around and killing things, even each other. Are we the beast that the littuns talk of? Or have we turned into the beast? Killing each other like it's a game. We used to be friends. Or at least we used to be civil toward one another. What happened to us? Have we turned into the outside world? Two tribes fighting in a war against each other, each trying to survive and rise to power? I guess we have turned into the outside world, making the mistakes that grownups have. I cannot run anymore. I have found the beach at last. I will lay down, and rest. Even Jack does not scare me now. Now I will wait. And hope that someone will rescue us. For hope is pretty much all we have at this point.

No comments: